Saturday, February 21, 2009

More Red Love



I have plenty of red left over from Valentine's Day in the shop, but when I saw these vintage filigree lucite pendants from The Original Bead, I had to buy some and make something. I just love the ornate, vaguely Spanish-feeling scroll design and its rich cherry-cranberry color, plus the fact that it's lightweight and doesn't make you crazy from the heaviness while wearing it. (I will also list one in olive soon) I had to use the nailhead beads from Mary Tafoya's shop that I blogged about a few weeks ago, that look like candy, or specifically, the Luden's cough drops that I practically lived on as a kid when I seemed to have bronchitis every few months. The wire-wrapping of the chain is what the cost of this piece is all about; a number of artists on Etsy have purchased these lovely pendants to make creations with, so if someone is interested in a really simple version, they're out there for the searching. I haven't seen any like mine; and it's fun to look around and see how people are using the same component differently. My friend Bek of Clevergirl makes hers with sterling silver. It's incredible how many components Bek and I have in common, considering that she's in Florida and I'm in NYC. We do totally different things with them, mainly because she's a metalsmith and I'm not.

Anyhow, I'm a fan of Gothic and these fill that slot nicely without being too scary.

No comments: