Thursday, June 25, 2009

Phedre in New York City






Production photos by Catherine Ashmore, from the National Theatre's website.

I was reading an article in the New York Times about London Theatre today, and realized that if I didn't act fast, I might miss out on a live simulcast from the National Theatre of Racine's Phedre at various movie theatres around the country. What is noteworthy is that it's starring Helen Mirren, Margaret Tyzack and Dominic Cooper, and directed by Nicholas Hytner. They're using a version by Ted Hughes this time, and it's designed by Bob Crowley, whose work I am always eager to see.

I started at this link, Broadwayworld, and though performances are sold out at The Film Society at Lincoln Center, I managed to snag a ticket at City Cinemas on the East Side for next week. Theatremania has a link to the venues here.

Here's the National Theatre's Page for US venues. That's a lotta links, but maybe you want to read up a bit on what the fuss is all about.

I never made it to any of the Metropolitan Opera House simulcasts last year, so I damned well made sure I have a ticket to this one, if nothing huge comes up that prevents my actually going.

I last read Phedre in college, when I was on a tear to read as many of the great plays as possible in case I had to design one. There was a legendary production of this play by Philip Prowse, starring Glenda Jackson in the 70's that I wish I'd seen - totally different in look from this production. I remember poring over the pictures in a theatrical magazine - I used to buy theatre and opera magazines from the Drama Book Shop of international productions to keep up with design sensibilities around the world.

Check out the NT's link to see if this production will be available near you!

No comments: