Thursday, April 25, 2013

New rings from the studio:








Intaglios (engraved gems) in green and topaz glass, set into fine silver bezels on sterling ring wire. I've had these intaglios for years (and have more in different sizes and colors) but only now found a compelling way to use them. They're simple, so I added beaded wire around the bezel for extra interest, and found a wonderful decorative ring wire that I chose for the green ring.

I oxidized the topaz glass ring, as I thought that the warmth of the stone would contrast nicely with the darker metal, I then brushed it for added texture. This one I will keep for myself for a bit!

I don't know that rings will become a mainstay of my shop, but I've enjoyed making these and am eager to move on to more interesting designs that are still wearable. I have so many glass cabs and vintage glass buttons as well as gemstones to make new settings for. A year ago I had no idea how to do any of this, and every week I learn something new that opens my eyes and makes me think about what might be possible.

No comments: