Thursday, January 22, 2009

Overnight Success Story


Photo: Ron Edmonds/AP

I LOVED the hat that Aretha Franklin wore at the Inaugural. It's a real Church Lady Hat and hit just the right note (sorry) between somber (for Aretha!) and festive. I'm so glad that I'm not alone in my love for the bowed chapeau...apparently, the designer of this hat, 36-year-old Luke Song , proprietor of Mr. Song Millinery in Detroit, Michigan, where the Queen of Soul lives, has been inundated with requests for the hat. According to what I just heard on MSNBC, he's sold 1000 hats since Tuesday. They retail for $179, so that is one very nice chunk of change.

Luke went to the Parsons School of Design in NYC, so he has had a good grounding in fashion that clearly has come in very handy!

You can read about the story here. It's a fun article with video.

No comments: