Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Happy Hanukkah!

It's the last night of Hanukkah, and I hope that all who observe enjoyed a beautiful holiday. It's a windy night where I live and the candles have been flickering wildly. I am still using the candles my father received after making donations to Jewish charities...if you are of the tribe, then you know the ones I mean. They're twisted and come in blue boxes, and sometimes the colors are quite vivid, and at other times, the box you received is kind of a dud, with grays and beiges and faint colors that are only for lovers of the monochrome. I have grown up with these candles, and have the equivalent of few years' worth of them in stock.
Tonight I decided to end the holiday with a medley of red, orange and pink, and you'll notice that some of the candles have warped over the summer, but I like it. The menorah is vintage, from Israel, not that you can see any of it. I also have a vintage electric menorah, and it's here as well, reflected in a window that has rain pounding against it. In my apartment building, the wind is blowing through the building and it sounds like the Yorkshire moors up here on the top floor - most atmospheric.

No comments: