Thursday, January 5, 2012

Remembering Maurice Finnell

2 years ago tonight you left us, Dad. At this moment we were holding your hand, singing to you and wishing you peace as you quietly and with dignity made your way into The Big Movie Show In The Sky (a song you sang so well). You are loved and missed daily, your presence is felt often, and your lessons about life and music are remembered by not only your family, but your many students. This evening I attended a concert and imagined that you were there with me, listening to a composition by one of your favorite composers and long time friend, Leonard Bernstein. I didn't plan it that way, but it just happened...what a wonderful coincidence. In the photo is a marble apple given to you by a student, a brass G clef, a photo of you at Tanglewood, where you first met Maestro Bernstein and had a fantastic summer, and a portrait of you that I created from a photo taken at your favorite eatery, The Three Guys, on Madison Avenue, with your favorite beverage, coffee. It's not much of an altar, but I'm working on it. God Bless you, Dad.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Jan,
This is a lovely tribute to your father...and I am sure you will 'tweak' the altar when you feel moved. I can only hope that I am able to express myself as lovingly as you do when I lose a parent. Blessings to you today, friend!
xo
Jenni

OvertheTop said...

Thanks so much, Jenni! How lovely of you to comment. Finding room to hang an alter is a challenge around here - we are packed to the gills with stuff on the walls and elsewhere. Dad would have been 96 this year!