Thursday, April 4, 2013

New Jewelry Pieces

Thought I'd share some new pieces that I finished for the shop. With Spring almost here, weather-wise (it's been cold this week), I am so happy to use the colorful gemstones and glass pieces that are begging to be worked with.



I went a little crazy with this bib-style necklace despite vowing to simplify things! The gold plated chain is vintage and I added another row of green-gold beads to fill in the space. Glass and quartz beads, new and vintage, were plucked from my stash, and it felt good to leave the silver realm for bead land.


The green Egyptian glass button (shank removed) inspired me to make a theme piece - haven't done this in awhile. I was inspired by the spruce green and gold button and kept the palette to that realm. It's an oddly-shaped button, so I had to make a setting for it and cut a brass base and added prongs so that the detailed molding could be admired. I textured and oxidized the base so that it recedes into the background, and the focal is more noticeable.


A recent shipment of colorful gems from India included these stunning celery green chalcedony faceted drops and sparkly amethyst (!) quartz briolettes. I fashioned sterling silver wire into a frame, filed, oxidized and brushed the metal into a satin finish, then wired the gems into place using fine sterling silver wire. Handmade earwires finish them off. I'll be experimenting with other shapes and color combinations, so check in again later this spring for more colorful earrings in this style.

SOLD!!!


I've had this string of colorful briolettes for a couple of years and finally decided to use them ALL in one go. They're threaded on to sterling silver wire and hang from a fine sterling chain; all metal has been oxidized and brushed for contrast. Pretty for spring and will go with so many colorful outfits all year round.



This was a button originally. It's glass; I sawed off the shank and made a pretty bezel for it using scalloped bezel wire. The chain is made from tiny milky opal  and pink glass beads and fine sterling chain. Swans are symbolic birds of faithfulness, so this would be a romantic gift. Opera fans, if you know a lady who loves Wagner and his opera "Lohengrin", which features a swan prominently, this would be a nice choice as well.

SOLD!!



My supply of chandelier crystals in bright colors is going, but I found two crystals in fresh Spring green and paired them with vintage pink glass cabochons and brass filigree. Sweet and pretty earrings in candy colors.


This is the Era of the Druzy! Have you ever seen so many in so many colors? I fell for these hot pink sugary beauties right away, and paired them with cute little carnelian marquise briolettes and darkened sterling silver.


I took a pair of earrings I made a couple of years ago that features antique glass pearls, crystal rondelles and mauve carved freshwater pearls and added deep plum chandelier crystals and my favorite fussy brass bead caps. They hang from handmade copper earwires and are full of vintage-era romantic goodness.




Antique carved mother of pearl button, shank sawed off and set in a bezel.



I added round mother of pearl  and gray agate beads to hammered sterling rings and the button cabochon to make this modern necklace. You can't see it in these pics, but I also made the hook and eye clasp in sterling. 

That's all for tonight, but I'm working on more to show you. :)

No comments: